modernjeeper
Raceline
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Whoo-Hoobicon" 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport with Custom M416 Expedition Trailer

We hope you enjoy this build post on our 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport and our 1960"s M416 Marine version Expedition Trailer. We purchased the Jeep used and it was stock except for the wheels and tires. Since then it has been significantly modified to perform better on the trails we enjoy. I'd like to think of it as a desert build built to work well rock crawling and on long ventures into the back country far from civilization. This build may not suit everyone's taste but that's the beauty of the Jeep world. If I were wheeling in Florida on the beach this Jeep would be setup quite differently.

This Jeep has it's share of scratches has been rolled and totaled once and has received many upgrades along the way. The trailer was re-constructed from a fairly rough stock M416 that may have been slung under a Helicopter in Vietnam as it is a US Marine version with the logistic hoops in the corners. I finished the trailer about a year ago and the tub was painted at the same time the Jeep was being painted after the roll over. Our Jeep has been wheeled around in Nevada, Utah, California and Arizona. It has done the Rubicon Trail three times, has wheeled about 15 days in Moab Utah, has done the Fordyce Trail and done many event such as the Jeepers Jamboree, Big Bear Forest Fest, Winter 4X4 Jamboree Hump N Bump and Many More.

In the following pages I will list many of the things I have done to make our Jeep work for us. If we lived in another part of the country I'm certain that it would look quite differently. This is a desert rock crawler setup for hot dry climates and long trips into the back country far from civilization or assistance. It has upgrades in many major components, Ham and CB communications, Satellite Radio, Dual Battery System, Premier Power Welder (on-board welder with Ready Welder spool gun, Warn Winch with synthetic rope, 6 cylinder engine with electric supercharger, Rubicrawler 2.72-1 doubler in front of a Rock Trac 241 Transfer Case. Chromoly axles, ARB air lockers, Custom Dana 44 high pinion rear axle.

If there's any interest I can go into more detail and continue listing my upgrades until people cry NO MORE PLEASE!!

Last edited by Bonofied Suiter; 10-24-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my lawd. Sorry Brian, but this is the best looking TJ I have seen. Please ramble on about your build. Start with these two images.

How did you go about making this and what difficulties did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JKU Hard Rock, No Lift, 37" Goodyear MTR-K, Metal Cloak Full Stinger Bumper, GenRight Fusion Rear Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Metal Cloak Rock Sliders, Warn Power Plant HD, Viair Constant Duty with Tank, 17" ATX Slabs, Evo Skid Plates, Cheap Chinese Lights, Factor 55 Flat Link, ApolloIntec Switch Pod, 48" Hi-Lift, Dynomax Exhaust, Custom Pin Stripping by Mother Nature

https://www.instagram.com/4lotested/

3. Likes BoiseJK, El Sanchimoto, midniterider liked this post
    Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Kind Words,

The first photo is of my Rock Hard 4X4 Sport Cage and the custom control panel that I built. It's one of my proudest creations. When I ordered the sport cage I asked them to not send it with the sheet metal panel as I planned on doing something different. I welded 8 tabs between the bars that 1/4" speed nuts would clip to. This allowed me to sandwich a top and bottom aluminum panel and be able to access it from either the top or the bottom with 4 stainless screws. The panels seal using foam tape between the panel and the cage. I made it so that I could unplug four connectors and the whole thing could be disconnected and removed from the sport cage.

I built the control panel with separate glass fuses that are accessed from inside the cab to the rear of the panel. The panel includes up front dual voltage readouts to quickly show me the current charge status of each of the two Optima Blue Top batteries the panel also has one of my winch controls (made by the 12 Volt guy) I love the winch control because it is very handy especially when I am winching myself and I like how back on the toggle switch is "IN" on the winch and forward on the switch is "OUT" on the cable. Very easy to do when I'm winching myself. (the winch also has wireless controls and another winch control built into the battery control panel on the dash.

Besides the voltage readouts the header panel includes my Ham Radio, my ARB locker controls, and a variety of switches that control things like LED Rock lights, LED rear flood /backup lamps, accent lights inside my Nemesis Billy Rockers. The header panel also includes LED dome lamps and a Grote LED Dome lamp that has a cool touch switch. The panel has worked flawlessly for years now. Part of the success is wiring my aftermarket accessories separately from the stock Jeep systems. The connect to the isolated top Optima battery and separate fuse boxes mounted to the underside of the hood. .

The second photo you asked about is of the side of the tool box mounted forward of the tub on my M416 Trailer. The stock wiring has been completely replaced and all of the lighting has been replaced with LED lamps. Inside of the box is a junction box that the 6 way cable from the Jeep connects to. This gives me easy access to the different connections in the event something quit working. On the inside of the box besides the junction box is an Optima battery, 400 Watt Inverter, a 4GPM water pump (for shower) and LED interior lighting and of course storage space. On the outside of the box are a variety of 12V power ports including one for my ARB fridge freezer, lighter plugs, USB Ports and a Voltage readout.to show me the status of the trailer battery. The red trim on the box was scrap from pieces left over from a Nemesis Industries project. The box has two different ways to connect it to a tow vehicle round 6 or flat four. I needed the six way plug so that I could control the rock lights,backup lamps and have a charge circuit from the tow vehicle.

As far as problems go the only problem was chasing down poor connections which were mostly due to not using high enough quality heat shrink connectors and using a high quality tool to crimp them. One tip, ground each of the lights to the frame in addition to the ground wiring to the Junction box. Also install a diode so that voltage from the Jeep can charge the battery but not flow back to the Jeep from the trailer battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome to go on and on about this TJ build as far as I'm concerned. My ears and eyes are open.
    Are you the owner of the Nemesis industries?
    If so I love the products you have developed.
    The rock sliders are going to be on my list. Are the rocksliders two piece?

Thanks
    Joel
    Last edited by Alley Oop; 10-27-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looooooooooooove the trailer. That's definitely something I want to explore down the road.

Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post
    You are welcome to go on and on about this TJ build as far as I'm concerned. My ears and eyes are open.
    Are you the owner of the Nemesis industries?
    If so I love the products you have developed.
    The rock sliders are going to be on my list. Are the rocksliders two piece?

Thanks
    Joel
    I'm not the owner of Nemesis Industries. His name is Rob Graft and is a really nice guy that make top notch products. The Billy Rockers on my Jeep are awesome. I had to modify the body side armor that also came from Nemesis to tie in with my Metalcloak fenders and the aluminum rear corners and fenders from Metalcloak. The Billy Rockers create a boatside that incorporate and surround the body mounts so you don't get hung up on them. Under the Jeep from Savvy is Under Armor. High Tensile Aluminum skid plate system that protects the Oil Pan, Transmission and Transfer Case. It also goes out to the frame rails on both sides so it nicely transitions to the billy rockers creating close to full protection under the drive train.

600_131861722.jpg

Bootleg 4.jpg

JEEP JORGENSEN DETAILS 19.jpg

Jeep Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sanchimoto View Post
    Looooooooooooove the trailer. That's definitely something I want to explore down the road.
    Thanks,
    The trailer project has been a labor of love and took me almost three years in the driveway to complete. Here are some photos of the beginning of the restoration. Jeep and Trailer.

Jeep Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely LOVE the trailer. Would love to see detailed info about the build of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is quite possibly the most impressive TJ/Trailer combo I have ever seen! Your hard work paid off. That thing is gorgeous!
    I showed the pics to my wife and she told me "you can do that with yours". Thanks for getting my next phase of the build a thumbs up from my wife. lol

Scott

11. Likes JeepOnRock liked this post
    Jeep Fanatic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet jeep and trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk