The "Whoo-Hoobicon" 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport with Custom M416 Expedition Trailer

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
The "Whoo-Hoobicon" 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport with Custom M416 Expedition Trailer

We hope you enjoy this build post on our 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport and our 1960"s M416 Marine version Expedition Trailer. We purchased the Jeep used and it was stock except for the wheels and tires. Since then it has been significantly modified to perform better on the trails we enjoy. I'd like to think of it as a desert build built to work well rock crawling and on long ventures into the back country far from civilization. This build may not suit everyone's taste but that's the beauty of the Jeep world. If I were wheeling in Florida on the beach this Jeep would be setup quite differently.

This Jeep has it's share of scratches has been rolled and totaled once and has received many upgrades along the way. The trailer was re-constructed from a fairly rough stock M416 that may have been slung under a Helicopter in Vietnam as it is a US Marine version with the logistic hoops in the corners. I finished the trailer about a year ago and the tub was painted at the same time the Jeep was being painted after the roll over. Our Jeep has been wheeled around in Nevada, Utah, California and Arizona. It has done the Rubicon Trail three times, has wheeled about 15 days in Moab Utah, has done the Fordyce Trail and done many event such as the Jeepers Jamboree, Big Bear Forest Fest, Winter 4X4 Jamboree Hump N Bump and Many More.

In the following pages I will list many of the things I have done to make our Jeep work for us. If we lived in another part of the country I'm certain that it would look quite differently. This is a desert rock crawler setup for hot dry climates and long trips into the back country far from civilization or assistance. It has upgrades in many major components, Ham and CB communications, Satellite Radio, Dual Battery System, Premier Power Welder (on-board welder with Ready Welder spool gun, Warn Winch with synthetic rope, 6 cylinder engine with electric supercharger, Rubicrawler 2.72-1 doubler in front of a Rock Trac 241 Transfer Case. Chromoly axles, ARB air lockers, Custom Dana 44 high pinion rear axle.

If there's any interest I can go into more detail and continue listing my upgrades until people cry NO MORE PLEASE!!

Last edited:

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Oh my lawd. Sorry Brian, but this is the best looking TJ I have seen. Please ramble on about your build. Start with these two images.

How did you go about making this and what difficulties did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
Thanks for the Kind Words,

The first photo is of my Rock Hard 4X4 Sport Cage and the custom control panel that I built. It's one of my proudest creations. When I ordered the sport cage I asked them to not send it with the sheet metal panel as I planned on doing something different. I welded 8 tabs between the bars that 1/4" speed nuts would clip to. This allowed me to sandwich a top and bottom aluminum panel and be able to access it from either the top or the bottom with 4 stainless screws. The panels seal using foam tape between the panel and the cage. I made it so that I could unplug four connectors and the whole thing could be disconnected and removed from the sport cage.

I built the control panel with separate glass fuses that are accessed from inside the cab to the rear of the panel. The panel includes up front dual voltage readouts to quickly show me the current charge status of each of the two Optima Blue Top batteries the panel also has one of my winch controls (made by the 12 Volt guy) I love the winch control because it is very handy especially when I am winching myself and I like how back on the toggle switch is "IN" on the winch and forward on the switch is "OUT" on the cable. Very easy to do when I'm winching myself. (the winch also has wireless controls and another winch control built into the battery control panel on the dash.

Besides the voltage readouts the header panel includes my Ham Radio, my ARB locker controls, and a variety of switches that control things like LED Rock lights, LED rear flood /backup lamps, accent lights inside my Nemesis Billy Rockers. The header panel also includes LED dome lamps and a Grote LED Dome lamp that has a cool touch switch. The panel has worked flawlessly for years now. Part of the success is wiring my aftermarket accessories separately from the stock Jeep systems. The connect to the isolated top Optima battery and separate fuse boxes mounted to the underside of the hood. .

The second photo you asked about is of the side of the tool box mounted forward of the tub on my M416 Trailer. The stock wiring has been completely replaced and all of the lighting has been replaced with LED lamps. Inside of the box is a junction box that the 6 way cable from the Jeep connects to. This gives me easy access to the different connections in the event something quit working. On the inside of the box besides the junction box is an Optima battery, 400 Watt Inverter, a 4GPM water pump (for shower) and LED interior lighting and of course storage space. On the outside of the box are a variety of 12V power ports including one for my ARB fridge freezer, lighter plugs, USB Ports and a Voltage readout.to show me the status of the trailer battery. The red trim on the box was scrap from pieces left over from a Nemesis Industries project. The box has two different ways to connect it to a tow vehicle round 6 or flat four. I needed the six way plug so that I could control the rock lights,backup lamps and have a charge circuit from the tow vehicle.

As far as problems go the only problem was chasing down poor connections which were mostly due to not using high enough quality heat shrink connectors and using a high quality tool to crimp them. One tip, ground each of the lights to the frame in addition to the ground wiring to the Junction box. Also install a diode so that voltage from the Jeep can charge the battery but not flow back to the Jeep from the trailer battery.

Alley Oop

Jeep Owner
You are welcome to go on and on about this TJ build as far as I'm concerned. My ears and eyes are open.
Are you the owner of the Nemesis industries?
If so I love the products you have developed.
The rock sliders are going to be on my list. Are the rocksliders two piece?

Thanks
Joel

Last edited:

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
You are welcome to go on and on about this TJ build as far as I'm concerned. My ears and eyes are open.
Are you the owner of the Nemesis industries?
If so I love the products you have developed.
The rock sliders are going to be on my list. Are the rocksliders two piece?

Thanks
Joel
I'm not the owner of Nemesis Industries. His name is Rob Graft and is a really nice guy that make top notch products. The Billy Rockers on my Jeep are awesome. I had to modify the body side armor that also came from Nemesis to tie in with my Metalcloak fenders and the aluminum rear corners and fenders from Metalcloak. The Billy Rockers create a boatside that incorporate and surround the body mounts so you don't get hung up on them. Under the Jeep from Savvy is Under Armor. High Tensile Aluminum skid plate system that protects the Oil Pan, Transmission and Transfer Case. It also goes out to the frame rails on both sides so it nicely transitions to the billy rockers creating close to full protection under the drive train.

600_131861722.jpg

Bootleg 4.jpg

JEEP JORGENSEN DETAILS 19.jpg

Scott B.

Jeep Owner
That is quite possibly the most impressive TJ/Trailer combo I have ever seen! Your hard work paid off. That thing is gorgeous!
I showed the pics to my wife and she told me "you can do that with yours". Thanks for getting my next phase of the build a thumbs up from my wife. lol

Scott

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
Absolutely LOVE the trailer. Would love to see detailed info about the build of that.
Thanks for the love,
I started a thread on the trailer build almost five years ago on Expedition Portal. I could cut and paste much of it but it's quite long with a number of responses. I will be posting up more detail on our Jeep on this forum in the short term and might start a separate thread for the trailer on this forum as it develops and opens a section for expedition trailer builds.

Here's a link to it: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/111473-M416-Based-Military-Off-road-Trailer-Build-Desert-Build-with-Lock-N-Roll-hitch

Another with more detail: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/117304-M416-Based-Off-road-Trailer-build-with-Lock-N-Roll-Trailer-Hitch?highlight=m416

Last edited:

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
That is quite possibly the most impressive TJ/Trailer combo I have ever seen! Your hard work paid off. That thing is gorgeous!
I showed the pics to my wife and she told me "you can do that with yours". Thanks for getting my next phase of the build a thumbs up from my wife. lol

Scott
Thanks Scott,
I have to say that I've owned some nice vehicles but have never seen more thumbs up and turned heads than when I'm driving the Jeep, Especially when I'm pulling the trailer.

I find the trailer comes in most handy around town without the lid and basket installed I'm glad I didn't modify the tub or try to add a tail gate, I've found it to be the perfect size for my needs and my vehicle. With my simple top installed the cargo inside is dry and secure. The top with the car rack and basket is great for camping trips. The tub has plenty of room for the things I need to bring such as a tent,cooler, sleeping bags extra water and firewood. The basket on top is great for a 10'X10' canopy, a small table and camp chairs.

I've found that most of the time the trailer is most useful with the top off and is great for running errands, shopping for groceries, cookouts and trail cleanups. The texture lining seems to be quite durable and easy to touch up with spray canned texture that Harbor Freight sells. The thick rubber stall mat is great and cargo seldom shifts. I recently hauled 6 or 7 drunken adults a couple of blocks to the Logandale fire station during the Hump N Bump and was surprised that the trailer handled that much weight without an issue.

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
Whoo-Hoobicon build list

Here's more information on the components installed on the Whoo-Hoobicon

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Whoo-Hoobicon
Almost all of the work done on this vehicle including installations and wiring were done by me except for technical gear work done at Adams Driveshaft. It has also been rolled over and totaled once about three years ago.

ENGINE
4.0 Inline 6-Cylinder Engine with SuperChip Programming, AEM Intake System
Airlutions Viper Dual Blower Electric Supercharger (adds about 20%)

FRONT AXLE
Dana 30 front axle with 30-spline Chromoly axle shafts, ARB Air Locker 4.56 Axle Ratio
Currie Correct-Trac Steering System
Currie Anti-rock Sway Bar
Rancho Steering Dampener

REAR AXLE
Custom High Pinion Dana 44 Rear Axle with Ballistic Fab Brackets 4.56 Axle Ratio
Chromoly Axle Shafts, ARB Air Locker, Disc Brakes

TRANSMISSION
42RLE Automatic Transmission
Advance Adapter Rubicrawler 2.72:1 Doubler with Cable Shifter

TRANSFER CASE
NP241OR Rock Trac 4-1 Transfer Case with Advance Adapters Cable Shifter from 2005 Jeep Rubicon
Front and Rear CV Drive shafts from Adams Driveshaft (4 Low Ranges 1.0/1 2.72/1 4.0/1 10.2 to 1)

Total crawl ratio with the Automatic Transmission, Rubicrawler, Rock Trac Transfer Case and 4.56 rear axle ratio is 140.90

SUSPENSION
Custom Rubicon Express Superflex 3-1/2” Suspension
4” Rear Coil Springs, Adjustable Control Arms, Teraflex Adjustable Lower Rear Arms
1-1/4” Body Lift

TIRES AND WHEELS
BF Goodrich 35X12.5R15 KM2 Tires
Interco Bird Dog Wheels (internal bead retention system)
RAD rapid tire deflators in addition to standard valve stems
1-1/2” Aluminum Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

ARMOR
Savvy Under-Armor (Full Aluminum under body protection tummy tuck) Protects Engine, Transmission and Transfer Case
Savvy Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid
Metal Cloak Overline front and rear fenders with aluminum rear corner body protection
Nemesis Billy Rockers with Titan Tub Armor aluminum side protection
Poison Spyder Cast Iron Differential Covers front and rear
Rampage Front Bumper (significantly modified)
Custom Rear Bumper with Tow Hitch, Recover points, Spare Tire Carrier, Hi-Lift Jack, Nato 5-Gallon fuel Can Gas and 5-Gallons Water W/Spigot, GPS Antenna, Lighted Whip/Flag
Rockhard 4X4 Sport Cage with Optional Upgrades and optional bars

INTERIOR and EXTERIOR
Upgraded carpet with sound deadening material
Corbeau Baja XRS Seats 4-point harnesses, Inflatable lumbar supports, rear storage and Electric seat Heaters. Corbeau matching rear bench seat cover.
4-point retractable seat belts for front seats
Seat Savers – Protective weather covers for both front and rear bench seats
Padded Steering wheel cover
Assorted Grab Handles
Smittybilt CRS Cargo Restraint System
Poison Spyder Hood Vent, Genright Vents behind front Fenders
Bestop Bimini Top
Bestop Safari Doors with Storage Pockets
Nemesis Hood Prop Kit
New Paint inside and out - Seminole Red Effect (By Sams Auto body - Las Vegas
Powder Coating by Ram Proline - Las Vegas

RECOVERY, TOOLS AND REPAIR EQUIPMENT
Premier Power Welder on-board (under hood) ARC Welding System with 195-Amp Alternator with setup with Ready Welder MIG spool Gun.
Warn 9.5ti 9,500# Winch with Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope, Wireless and Header Mounted and dash mounted winch controls, Factor 55 Flat Link Shackle Mount
Custom Winch Mount
Pull Pal 12,500# rated Land Anchor for winching when no anchor point is available.
Hi-lift jack with Sand Pad and other Hi-lift jack accessories
Assorted tow straps Kinetic Ropes, Tree Straps and Snatch Blocks
Power Tank 10# CO2 Tank with carry bag, Air tools and Accessories
Assortment of Hand Tools and Spare Parts

ELECTRICAL

Isolated & Separate electrical wiring for non-OEM lights & accessories. Everything is wired to a separate battery (top battery) and wired through under-hood mounted fuse boxes and electrical relays.
Dual Battery System with Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle Batteries. Cole Hersee smart relay (Isolator) and In-Dash controls to connect both batteries for extra winching power or to jump start this vehicle if (lower) starting battery is discharged. Dual voltage readouts in header display the current state of charge for each battery.
Custom made electrical control panel in roll cage header with controls for ARB air Lockers, Winch, Lights and much more. Includes panel fuses, Readouts Ham Radio and Clock.
Dual battery shutoff switches under hood.

LIGHTING
Rigid E-Series 10” Light Bar
Rigid D2HD Diffused light pods on corners of bumper facing forward and to the side
Rigid D2 Dually flood lamps on windshield posts
Grote LED Headlamps
Grote LED Front Turn Signals mounted forward in Metalcloak Fenders,
LED Turn/marker lamps mounted under front fenders.
Jeep JK style Turn Signals / Marker Lamps installed in front clip.
Various LED dome lamps to illuminate interior
Flush mounted LED lights in Face of Bumper
Savvy Billet LED Tail Lamps
LED Backup Lamps wired to backup circuit and also switch in header for campsite illumination.
LED Rock Lamps in front bumper, under front and rear fenders and off of skid plate illuminating rear suspension
KC HiLights Cyclone under hood Lamp to illuminate the engine compartment.

COMMUNICATIONS and NAVIGATION
Yaesu FT2800 VHF Ham Radio
Cobra 75WXST CB Ratio
Lowrance Baja GPS System
Serius Satellite Radio
Sony AM/FM CD Stereo

OPTIONAL CONFIGURATIONS (Not Shown)
Factory Hard Top with Tinted Windows
Factory Full Doors, Safari Doors with Storage Pockets or Soft Doors that came with Soft Top
Bestop Soft Top with Soft Doors
Assorted Bimini Tops including Mesh and Bikini Tops

WAY COOL STUFF
2Way Air Central Tire Inflation System. Fills all four tires at the same time from connection ports on the front bumper. Pressure gauge in bumper shows me when the tires are up to pressure. Also pop-off valve will start releasing air if pressure exceeds the set amount. All four tires are filled to exactly the same pressure.

Using my Powertank (CO2 tank) I can connect to a air tool connection on the bumper and fill all four tires from 10# to 35# in 3-Minutes total including time to quick-connect and remove short air lines to Schrader valves installed under fenders and on wheels.

UPCOMING ADDITIONS
Soon to install dual Viair 400C air compressors and a small air tank under the Jeep behind and to the right of the Transfer case. Compressors will be mounted using rubber vibration isolation pads on a plate so the system can be removed and serviced easily. A splash shield will also be fabricated to keep mud and water exposure to a minimum. Compressors will be controlled from a dash switch and tee'd into the 2Way Air piping. The pop-off valve on the front bumper will let me know when the tires are at the set pressure and I can check the status of the inflation process from the gauge mounted into the top of the bumper.

I've mounted a small triangular Echo LED hazard strobe lamp above the rear hitch. Final wiring needs to be completed to dash switch.

I won a great raffle prize a few months ago at the Winter 4X4 Jamboree in Hurricane, Utah. A full set of Metalcloak Duroflex control arms. My current arms have served me well and definitely show some wear and tear so I'm looking forward to replacing my Rubicon Express and Teraflex arms with the latest technology. A big Thank You to Metalcloak for donating this awesome prize and supporting fundraising events like the Winter 4X4 Jamboree and the Hump N Bump which I continue to direct.

Last edited:

Scott B.

Jeep Owner
Thanks Scott,
I have to say that I've owned some nice vehicles but have never seen more thumbs up and turned heads than when I'm driving the Jeep, Especially when I'm pulling the trailer.

I find the trailer comes in most handy around town without the lid and basket installed I'm glad I didn't modify the tub or try to add a tail gate, I've found it to be the perfect size for my needs and my vehicle. With my simple top installed the cargo inside is dry and secure. The top with the car rack and basket is great for camping trips. The tub has plenty of room for the things I need to bring such as a tent,cooler, sleeping bags extra water and firewood. The basket on top is great for a 10'X10' canopy, a small table and camp chairs.

I've found that most of the time the trailer is most useful with the top off and is great for running errands, shopping for groceries, cookouts and trail cleanups. The texture lining seems to be quite durable and easy to touch up with spray canned texture that Harbor Freight sells. The thick rubber stall mat is great and cargo seldom shifts. I recently hauled 6 or 7 drunken adults a couple of blocks to the Logandale fire station during the Hump N Bump and was surprised that the trailer handled that much weight without an issue.
I hope to add a trailer to the mix for mine some day. The interior space in a TJ is slightly lacking... lol

Alley Oop

Jeep Owner
I was reviewing this old thread, when I spotted this photo. This almost brought a tear to my eye.
I hope that's a before photo.

Attachments

Bonofied Suiter

Jeep Owner
More importantly.....is there a video of it happening!?

This happened a few years ago and most of the photos were taken after the repairs were made. I was told that someone caught it on video but I was never able to find it. Here are some more photos. My 8 year old grandson was my co-pilot and his first time in the front seat. I remember telling him before we started that he should never put his arm out if we are tipping. Fortunately he listened to me. With a little more bad luck it could have been much worse as it happened at the top of the obstacle. With a little momentum it could have easily rolled all the way down. It's hard to show the slope in photos but I was able to coast it to the bottom over the obstacles with the engine off so no power steering, effective braking, tires aired down to 10# and a smashed windshield.

At the bottom of the hill I pulled all of the spark plugs, cleared the cylinders, put it back together and fired it up. You never want to start a Jeep that;s been upside down without making sure the cylinders are not full of engine oil. Unfortunately the transmission had lost too much fluid and the couple of quarts we could scare up was not enough. I needed some assistance with a tow strap and a car trailer to get it back to camp.

Now that the Jeep is back together and has some more nice upgrades I've added decals to the sides of the Jeep.... ROLLED 1X

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I like the rolled once decal. Pretty awesome. You are dang lucky y’all are ok.