Avoid cheap shackles

Pthorpe84

Staff member
So how many of you have went out, purchased a new bumper, stopped by your local Co-Op and picked up some cheap 3/4” Shackles? Dang near all of us.
You have all seen them and have prolly used them. Looks bada$$ on that new bumper too.

Then you get on some websites and see the Stainless Steel varieties at $50+ a pop and think to yourself...No way I am paying that.

You may want to think again.....Those cheap shackles are made up of Ductile Iron. This is basically a high carbon metal that is melted and poured into a form. Which can work fine. But what can happen, especially in the overseas cheap-o’s, is voids in the metal that can result in this!
those are a little big.

Imagine having that brand new 10k lb winch pulling your buddies stuck Toyota at all it’s might and then BAM! Your hit by a broken shackle. This does happen and could end your wheeling trip early or God forbid, you or your buddies life.

Now I’m not saying go out and get all stainless shackles. There are some high quality Iron shackle makers out there, such as Crosby, that have strict Quality Assurance programs. This is also a good reason to ditch the cast hook you got with your winch, no matter the supplier, and pick up one from Factor 55.

I hopes this opens some of yours eyes as to why it’s important to not skimp, even on the smallest of items on your rig. Be safe and wheel often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Any idea what the failure rate is?
Honestly I do not. Too many factors and stresses to take into consideration. Also with the China versions, they are not tracking that type of data.

There are testing standards that are used to determine there working loads. If need be I can look that up for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk