New to Modern Jeeper forum; from New Mexico

Harried

Jeep Newb
:nerd: Hello to all. I'm newly registered to your forum but not too new to Jeeps. Back in the 1960's I drove a GP (Jeep) while in the Army, then ran around with one of my brothers in his 1953~ Jeep flatbed truck (VERY stout springs). My first Jeep was a 2000 WJ which finally died from loss of gearing and poor engine performance (it only had 175,000+ miles). All my vehicles are 4x4. My wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and my Dodge Ram Quadcab and Case tractor are also 4x4. I still have two legs but both dogs are equipped with four so they are 4x4 too.

I enjoy off roading but, like most off roaders, I'm finding out just how expensive a hobby it is. Since I don't smoke or drink and my wife doesn't allow me to chase women, I do have a leeetle bit of money to spend on my hobbies. One of my sons is taking after me in that he has two 4x4 vehicles; his oldest is a 1985, I think, Grand Wagoner which is in decent shape and the other is a SAAB which he bought new.

I'm now retired from paid work so I (theoretically) have more time for my hobbies of reading, fly fishing, camping, woodworking, gardening, and of course off roading. In some of my spare time I raise pecans which means my December & January is reserved for harvesting these great nuts.

My JKU has the 3.8 liter engine with the automatic. It takes forever to get up to speed but I don't worry about speeding tickets. (My wife's Jeep with the 3.6 Pentastar & 8 speed auto. does well over 90 mph so smoothly you don't notice it.) Since most of the trails I go on have large rocks and are usually washed out, I added a 3" lift and upgraded the tires to 315/70x17" BFGs, which gave me a size increase of almost 2 inches. Total lift = 5". I've added armor underneath to protect from the BIG rocks and next year I hope to add replacement front and rear bumpers.
1407708989115.jpg (Before the lift)

G

Gary

:nerd:
I enjoy off roading but, like most off roaders, I'm finding out just how expensive a hobby it is.
Welcome to the FREE Jeep forum Harried ~ now you have another hobby :D
Thanks for joining us and telling your story.