Future of OHV Recreation in Golden State Secured By Passage of Bipartisan Legislation

Todd Ockert

BLUERIBBON COALITION/SHARETRAILS.ORG MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: September 19, 2017

FUTURE OF OHV RECREATION IN GOLDEN STATE SECURED BY PASSAGE OF BIPARTISAN LEGISLATION

POCATELLO, ID (September 19, 2017) – State lawmakers in Sacramento recently passed Senate Bill 249 that permanently reauthorizes the California OHV Program. This historic vote-which also included Senate Bill 159, a companion bill that contained the funding structure for the program-had precedent setting broad support from both the conservation and OHV communities.

The BlueRibbon Coalition/Sharetrails.org (BRC) was part of a diverse OHV stakeholder group that championed the current OHV program managed by the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVRD) that is an important member of the California State Park family.

Don Amador, Western Representative for the BlueRibbon Coalition/Sharetrails.org, stated, “As a member of the 2007 drafting team that helped create the SB 742-based current program, I believe passage of the new SB 249 legislation honors the spirit and intent of our program that has been heralded as a national model for environmentally responsible OHV recreation.”

“I believe a lot of credit goes to the thousands of OHV enthusiasts, partners such as county sheriffs, and non-profit conservation groups, who took time to write letters and/or make phone calls to legislators and the Governor stating their strong support for the current program that granted monies to maintain trails, support law enforcement, open new riding areas and trails, fund important restoration projects, and pay for valuable rider education programs,” Amador continued.

“Credit should also be given to Senator Ben Allen, author of SB 249, for listening to concerns voiced by the OHV coalition, partners, and rural communities about how changes needed to be made to the original bill as that early version was simply too costly because it imposed an unwarranted level of additional environmental studies, reviews, and reports. The OHV Commission and State Park leadership also had key roles in helping resolve contentious issues with early versions of SB 249,” Amador concluded.

The OHV community and our conservation partners should be proud of the passage of this legislation that finally removes the sunset and makes our OHV program a permanent fixture at State Parks. We look forward to Governor Brown signing these bills in the near future.

Link to SB-249 Off-highway motor vehicle recreation

# # #

Sharetrails.Org/BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) is a national non-profit organization that champions responsible recreation and encourages a strong conservation ethic and individual stewardship, while providing leadership in efforts to keep outdoor recreation alive and well — all sports; all trails. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education
and collaboration among recreationists.- sharetrails.org

Matsonian

Administrator
Staff member
I think many of us were shocked that this was signed by Governor "Moonbeam" but so glad he did!!!

Todd Ockert

No, the Cali governor has usually not been our friend.
He has signed things though that has surprised us and been good for the sport in the state.

At the end of the day, I think he has a soft spot for us and wants a Jeep built with MC parts!

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
At the end of the day, I think he has a soft spot for us and wants a Jeep built with MC parts!

Todd
One could only hope.

Sad to hear that he hasn’t been a big spokesman for, what I consider, the states greatest offering.

....and Black Maple Hill Bourbon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk