Th3 Wader's 2015 JKUR Project

1FSTREX

Jeep Owner
The name's Will. I have owned many cars in my life: 2003 Subaru WRX, 2005 Subaru STI (two of them), 2007 Lotus Exige S, and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee to name a few. I had always loved my Cherokee and when I sold my Lotus I thought about building another Cherokee. I however decided to get my second 2005 Subaru STI and built it into a race car to compete in autocross ASP class. Loved that but had to move to Virginia for the military and decided to not bring my race car with me. Long story short while in Virginia I was debating what kind of car to buy. I had always loved the JKUR's when they came out in 07 and decided to pull the trigger on one. I have owned this JKUR since new and bought it with 22 miles on it.

JEEP SPECS:
- 2015 JKUR
- Alpine Package
- uConnect Package
- Auto

SUSPENSION:
- Metal Cloak 2.5" True Dual-Rate Lift Kit
- Metal Cloak RockSport Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit
- Rancho RS9000 XL Shocks
- Steer Smarts YETI XD Tie Rod

WHEELS AND TIRES:
- Pro Comp Series 52 15x8.5" 3.75" BS
- Mickey Thompson MTZ 37x12.50r17

ARMOR:
- Rough Country Differential Skid Plates (Front and Rear)
- Artec Industries Weld On Lower Control Arm Mounts
- Rough Country Stubby Front Bumper
- Smittybilt XRC GEN II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
- Mopar 10A Rock Rails

INTERIOR:
- Opar Grab Handles (front and rear)
- Uniden 52 CB Radio
- Cover King Neoprene Seat Covers (front and rear)
- Rugged Ridge Mesh Bikini Cover
- Rugged Ridge Dash Mount Cell Phone Holder
- Quadratec Ultimate All Weather Floor Liners (front and rear)
- DayStar Lower Dash Switch Panel
- OTRATTW Switches
- Smittybilt Tailgate MOLLE System

LIGHTING:[/B}
- LED Interior Lights
- eyourlife LED Windshield Lights
- eyourlife 18" LED Light Bar (bumper mounted)

RECOVERY:
- 42" Hi-lift
- HF 9500lbs Winch
- SmittyBilt D-rings (front and rear)
- FuelPax 3-Gallon Cans

JEEP TRIPS:
- 2017 Hi-Landers Poker Run
- 2017 Sierra Trek
- 2017 Rubicon Trail Foundation Cantina at the Con

Attachments

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Welcome 1FSTREX. How do you like that Yeti Tie Rod? Any issues with bending?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FSTREX

Jeep Owner
Welcome 1FSTREX. How do you like that Yeti Tie Rod? Any issues with bending?

Lol, kind of like the "37s", my brain was forecasting the future. My Yeti tie rod is currently sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I purchased it because I bent the factory tie rod on my last wheeling trip. I will definitely post an update once its on and after my Labor Day weekend wheeling trip.

1FSTREX

Jeep Owner
During my last outing to the Rubicon we did some night wheeling and I do not have any rock lights. I was backing off a rock face to re-adjust my line and dropped right onto a rock below. To say the least, the tie rod and steering stabilizer were not too happy. I ended up bending the tie rod and the steering stabilizer. Oddly enough, I straightened the steering stabilizer and adjusted the alignment to the bent tie rod and dealt with it until I could decide which direction I wanted to go.

After much debate, I decided on the Steer Smarts Yeti XD Tie Rod due to the amazing stress tests and the fact that you do not need to drill out your factory knuckles. I am extremely happy with my choice. Just based off initial impressions, installation, and the 50sih miles I have put on it - I am extremely impressed. I also decided to flip my steering stabilizer because I find it silly that it sits below the tie rod and exposed. I went with Metal Cloaks relocation kit which comes with the Rocksport steering stabilizer.

Attachments

1FSTREX

Jeep Owner
The parts are starting to stack up for the Jeep! Got some Artec inner C Gusset plates waiting to be welding on, a set of 17x9 Level 8 Bully Pros, and soon some 37" Cooper STT Pros!

Attachments

1FSTREX

Jeep Owner
Well, in preparation of a labor day weekend trip to the Rubicon, I decided to make the next jump in my Jeep build.

First step was to finally bump from 35s to 37s; let me tell you, the bump was a lot bigger than expected. I went back and forth on the tire that I wanted. I love my current MTZs but they are on the very pricey end of the 37 market. After much debate, I decided on the Cooper STT Pros because of their user reviews on and off road, summer or winter driving, and the mileage reports coming out for them. Definitely excited to see how they do compared to my old MTZs. Let me tell you...a re-gear is in order!

Tire Specs:
Cooper STT Pros - 37x12.50r17

Wheel Specs:
Level 8 Bully Pro - 17x9 -12

IMG_0247.jpg

To it the 37s more comfortably, I decided to swap out my current Metal Cloak 2.5" springs for some 3.5" springs. As we all know, Metal Cloak springs gain you more than advertised and dang! These 3.5" springs are beastly. The original business that installed my Metal Cloak lift kit apparently decided to not install my Metal Cloak exhaust spacer kit. So I called up Metal Cloak and without hesitation, they got an exhaust spacer kit set aside for me so I could finish up my build.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

More to come from the build!

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Glad to see someone having fun putting on some upgrades! Let's see some of those rubicon pics when you get some cell service.