Anyone else having problems with front driveshaft and ball joints?

Jamesharvey

Jeep Owner
Hey everyone

I have an 04TJ and have gone through the stock ball joints, crowns heavy duty steering set up ones in a year and I'm now have Curries complete steering set up.

I have gone through 4 front driveshafts, the driveline shop kept building me a stock one, just ordered the Toms Woods heavy duty one with the spline the whole way compared to the stock one that is only part way.

I have 35" tires with a 5" suspension lift and 1" body lift.
The jeep only gets about 4,000 miles on it a year, however they are real off road miles, we run between 7-10 hours a day off road 4 days straight.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Attachments

Todd Ockert

I also have an 04 TJ, and not had issues with the ball joints or drive shaft.
My original factory one had over 100k on it when I pulled it off and had to install a new one.
The replacement was shortened when I installed the Atlas last year.

I grease the u-joints in them pretty regularly also.

When I had to replace an outer knuckle when the threads for the brake caliper stripped out, looked to be in pretty good shape.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Could the ball joint issues be due to the MTR's. Mine MTR's have been nothing but a pain constant pulling to each direction and poor balancing. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

Could the ball joint issues be due to the MTR's. Mine MTR's have been nothing but a pain constant pulling to each direction and poor balancing. Just a thought.

I have always ran BFG's on my Jeep, and no issues!
I think i like my BFG's even better now!

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I can't wait for the day I have the money to replace the MTR's. hate them.

Alley Oop

Jeep Owner

The jeep only gets about 4,000 miles on it a year, however they are real off road miles, we run between 7-10 hours a day off road 4 days straight.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Well you do seem to be running pretty hard. If you are rock crawling.
Maybe you are just wearing them out.
Parts do break and wear out. Even the best quality parts can be broken.

Everyone breaks occasionally. Those that run hard, chance breakage.

Last edited:

Blank

Jeep Owner
I had to change my ball joints back in March but the Jeep at 150k ish miles on it. Stock suspension with 31s nothing as spectacular as yours. I went with synergy and haven had an issue.