Engine Swap

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Is there anything out there on engine swaps and using the manual transmission on a '15 JKU? I would like to be able to keep a standard and not go automatic. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I may have to. I'm sure it can be done. I would think there were some hemi Rams outs there that were stick shift and I could just swap the two out.

jimoldblue

Jeep Owner
I may have to. I'm sure it can be done. I would think there were some hemi Rams outs there that were stick shift and I could just swap the two out.

This may be a dumb question but, if you are changing the engine and not the transmission why does I mater? Doesn't the AEV hemi conversion on 2012 to current JKs bolt up with "minor" changes to the transmission if you can find a hemi out of the srt Cherokee?

Last edited:

Copasspupil

Jeep Owner
The hemi engine is too heavy for the jeep to be effective. Motech will tell you the same. They don’t do manual swaps either for this year jeep. Mines a ‘14 and I thought I wanted a manual since all my other jeeps were the same as well but for the engine swap to occur and be designed correctly you need a ‘15 and newer ls or lt engine and either 6 or 8 speed auto. So look for a l83 or l86 gm engine and their 6l80 or 8l90 swap. You save something like 250 pounds going gm.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Curious how well the 2.8’s do in the 4-doors. Lot more weight.

Sarge368

Jeep Newb
As someone else mentioned Motech looks amazing! Watch Robbies videos on YouTube. He provides tons of information on the pros and cons of a swap. Compares the LS swap to a supercharger and the hemi swap. The LS seems like a great option. Looking to do one on my TJ in the next six months and then on my wife’s JKU in a year or two.

Last edited:

gingerempire

Jeep Newb
Curious how well the 2.8’s do in the 4-doors. Lot more weight.

I want to say Cummins designed the 2.8 for slightly older vehicles...not 100% on that, but, as long as it fits, I'm sure you could put it in whatever that you wanted.

Look at novak jeep conversions as well. If you're on IG, @thejeepcalledyeti did one of their kits with an LS3 that looked pretty sweet.