Andrews 05 LJ Rubicon cloaked

Andrew05LJR

Jeep Owner
Figured Id start/continue my build thread over here to help bring some ideas to new forum members. This is a continuation of a build thread on other forums..

Starting out its an 05 LJ Rubicon with a mix of companies products, more Metal Cloak than anyone else's! Below is the mod list:

Driveline:
D44 F/R
Revolution 5.38s
OEM Lockers
4:1 Tcase
Carolina Driveline Driveshafts
Centric Drilled/Slotted rotors/pads- OEM replacements, not BM

Suspension & Steering
4"Currie Springs
Savvy Fox shocks
MC single adjustable lower
MC double adjustable uppers
MC trackbars F/R
ZJ V8 Steering

Armor:
MC Overline Fronts
Genright HighFlare rears
Genright Stubby w/Winch Guard- Sitting waiting to be installed
OEM Rocker guards

Wheels/Tire
37x12.50 Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar
17x9 ATX Ravine
G2 1.25" Spacers

Engine:
Macs Cold Air Intake
Magnaflow Cats, Thrush Muffler- just added this week

Misc:
TruckLite LEDs
Midland 75-822
3'Firestik
TnT License Plate Relocation Bracket
10" LED bar-Front bumper- Both not installed yet

When I first bought the LJ it had an RC 6" short arm lift that was alright but I knew I wanted something lower, more comfortable and provided more articulation without going to long arms. I pieced together the lift I thought would be ideal. Metal Cloak Duroflex bushings really caught my attention and so I started with dropping the lift with Currie 4" springs and Fox shocks. Swapped out the RC arms for double adjustable solid aluminum uppers and single adjustable lowers. Now, I wish I had gone for the double adjustable lowers to get a little more wheelbase out of the arms, but 1" less wheelbase is hardly noticeable. So this is where my build is currently. If anyone has any questions, comments let me know. Some pictures...

Back when I had the Trektop NX, went back to OEM. Better looking, quieter etc..

Cheers!!!:D

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Sweet rig!

When you say Savvy Fox shocks, are they just tuned by Savy, similar to how BDS tunes theirs? BDS is owned by Fox, so that makes sense....... but.....

Andrew05LJR

Jeep Owner
Yes, Savvy tuned a set of Fox shocks to specifically be paired with the Currie springs. At the time it was between Metal Cloak 3.5" springs or Currie 4". At that time, I pair of rear springs popped up that had been used for 1k miles and the guy didnt like the rake on his light rig so he I picked them up, Kind of made my decision for me. I was leaning towards to MC's but it was hard finding compressed and extended lengths to find a shock to match, couldn't swing 6paks although Id love a set of those

OmniscientHiers

Jeep Owner
Yes, Savvy tuned a set of Fox shocks to specifically be paired with the Currie springs.
No. Blaine said it himself, they don't tune them. Not sure why they say that, though. Although, this could be old info, since I remember him saying that long ago.

Also, MC rear 3.5" requires 3ish inches of bumpstop which basically sucks.

OmniscientHiers

Jeep Owner
Interesting. Must be new. I think previously they used a pre-made valve that just happened to do well for the TJ. Wonder if it's similar to Wayne's tune, his is spectacular in the go-fast stuff.

Andrew05LJR

Jeep Owner
Im not entirely sure if its the same. Its what drove me to go this route, Currie springs Fox shocks, because its hard to find in my opinion, an off the shelf combo thats kind of set up to work together. Ill be saving for 6paks and 3.5 progressives from MC though.

In other news Ive completed the rear flares. I had stripped them down, sanded the crap out of them and resprayed. They came out pretty good...

Today Ill be receiving the JJ housing kit, somehow I destroyed a Moog clevite on the axle side in less than a month.

Andrew05LJR

Jeep Owner
Been pretty busy. I completed the oil pan gasket, oil/filter change, cats, exhaust, alignment. Also installed BedTred over my monstaliner, basically just wanted something to help with heat and noise. Fit was great and liking how the heat shield works and how it goes over the trans tunnel...

Got some new shoes too, 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros! Loving these tires, had them installed Friday and was able to get some miles on them. Load range E is difficult to find happy tread wear pattern, started at 32 now Im down to 28 which seems to be pretty good. Ill try to chalk test after the rain is gone. Price point, looks, quiet all very appealing. Chose thse over the MT2s since its mud/clay and rocks here where I wheel and wanted to more aggressive tire.

Next will be installing the Bestop duster/tonneau with full bikini top as my spring/summer/fall set up. Also, need to look into hydro assist set up. Thinking of doing the redneck ram set up with heat sink cooler and bigger reservoir. Not trying to break the bank with the PSC stuff. We shall see... Hopefully soon Ill see what the new MC arms/trackbars, Currie springs, Fox shocks and Coopers will perform

Andrew05LJR

Jeep Owner
Bestop duster/tonneau installed with full bikini. Really diggin this look it gives the LJ! But I hate the no drill header from Bestop, its seriously the biggest POS thing to work with and install took a lot longer than it should have cause the top kept slipping out, really shitty design and wish I could have a regular header. I had to buy this no drill header anyway, so why not give an option for a drilled header?!? Anyway, on to the pics..

Tonneau only

Tonneau with Full Bikini

Haven't drove a lot yet so no comments on wind noise with no drill header or how it is in the rain. There's only a small area by the door where rain might get in but I drive doorless in the summer anyway so I dont mind getting a little wet. Wheeling in the mud could get interesting though.,. I may put self tapping screws in the top/header to make it easier for if I need to put the top back on.

Coriahock

Jeep Newb
You know, I was considering doing this to my LJ, my reverse lights have been relocated to center of the tailgate, so when it comes to a spare tire, I can't carry one. I am thinking of having a custom cage build allowing a tire to be mounted on a slant back at the back of the jeep, keeping my centered reverse lights still and using this top to enclose the jeep to an extent.

Let me know how it rides.