Bent Axle??

Pthorpe84

Staff member
See the pictures below. Just noticed this. Haven't done anything extreme or came off any ledges since putting on the 37's. but my tires seem to be sitting sideways. Advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Could be the axle, the ball joint mounts or ball joints. Not good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member

Explain this....moved the jeep...now they are straight. Only thing I did different is pull into the parking spot and did not back in. No leaks, noticeable bend in tubes, c's look fine and they have been gusseted for almost 4 months. Going to check ball joints now.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Checked the ball joints. They are good with no movement. I took the jeep for a drive and it drove fine. Slight pull to the left due to the MTR's. pulled over a couple times and looked and the tires appeared straight.

I honestly think it is the side walls of the tires bowed out from me backing the jeep up and working the tires left and right. I may be wrong but that what it appears to be.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
Checked the ball joints. They are good with no movement. I took the jeep for a drive and it drove fine. Slight pull to the left due to the MTR's. pulled over a couple times and looked and the tires appeared straight.

I honestly think it is the side walls of the tires bowed out from me backing the jeep up and working the tires left and right. I may be wrong but that what it appears to be.

You might be toed in a bit too much. If you backed it, the tires would be the opposite of going forward and could create that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Ok. So after wheeling last week my steering wheel was all out of whack. So we turned the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. Could that have set all of this chaos in motion? Do I need to adjust my tie rod after?

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Did something bend or come loose causing you to have to adjust the drag link? I would look for what caused that and go from there.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Is it not common for the the steering wheel to get off center after a few wheeling trips? I know my '14 did it as well.

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
It should stay centered unless something else moved causing it to shift. Track bar bolt coming loose and bend tie rods are the main causes.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Checked. All bolts are tight. No signs of movement. I will have take the tie rod off tomorrow to see if it has a slight bend. I could not see any noticeable curve to it. Both the drag link and tie rod hang down. Not centered at the joint.
im assuming this is normal.

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Ok. So adjusting toe. Re centered steering wheel and 🥁........problem fixed.

Thanks to Cloaked. The best I can tell there is a slight bend in the tie rod.