IFS vs Solid axle

Pthorpe84

Staff member
Pros/Cons.....go!

Lots of folks are not a fan of independent suspensions. What are the true drawbacks? Wouldn't the extra ground clearance be a big win? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I love IFS and IRS on my corvette.

IMHO, It's would rock if it was set up strictly for off-road. But the on road set up makes for a pretty stiff, not so flexible off-road vehicle. How many new F150's do you see one the flex trailer?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pthorpe84

Staff member
I am more or less thinking about the set up for off road. Just seems like most folks do not like it or ever want it on a jeep.

Todd Ockert

Will have to take a look for a JK that Casey Currie built with IFS up front.

It looked cool, and not sure how it wheels on the trails though.

Todd

Pthorpe84

Staff member
There was one at SEMA two years ago that I saw, but never saw any footage of it off road.

Kjeeper10

Jeep Fanatic
Pro better handling i believe lighter, con cost. Its prob going to get really expensive to built up IFS. Ground clearance/travel unless specifically built for it like KOH rigs. A SA is just easy to work on and inexpensive. Cons weight thats why you hear jeep bring up changing to IFS every model change due to fuel efficiency.

Brian

Jeep Fanatic
I can tell you from wheeling a 1991 Chevy Truck that the front CV Axle boots are a beotch. They dislike sand, mud and rocks.